Why paying for stuff is so complicated now
- July 26, 2018
- Bill Maurer, anthropology, via The Atlantic, July 26, 2018
So Americans are living through what Bill Maurer, the director of the Institute for Money, Technology and Financial Inclusion at the University of California at Irvine calls the “Cambrian explosion in payments.” The “point of sale”—once a poky machine or just a person with a calculator or a pencil—is now a computer like everything else, tied deeply into the operations of the restaurant or store.
For the full story, please visit https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/07/when-software-ate-the-point-of-sale/565919/.
Related News Items
- The Faketoshi Circus: Even Bitcoin Can't Escape the Politics of Money
- UCI launches new open online course on confronting digital extremism
- What Facebook's Libra really is
- Facebook's Libra: it's not the 'crypto' that's the issue, it's the organization behind it
- How to be inclusive with your payment methods