Democrats do no good when they kick Hispanic Republicans to curb (Opinion)
- November 21, 2017
- Ruben Rumbaut, sociology, is mentioned in The Hill, Nov. 21, 2017
In my own book, “A Race for the Future,” I quote University of California Irvine sociologist Ruben Rumbaut as remarking that this was “the first and only law in U.S. history that defines a specific ethnic group.” At the time, nobody batted an eyelid. The effort from the start was to create a minority group out of Mexican-Americans, something rank and file Mexican-American themselves did not want, incidentally.
For the full story, please visit http://thehill.com/opinion/civil-rights/361359-democrats-do-no-good-when-they-kick-hispanic-republicans-to-curb.
Related News Items
- A lesson in solidarity
- UCI sociologists are making their mark
- New program allows incarcerated students to get bachelor's degrees alongside peers on the outside
- 'The US isn't an option anymore': why California's immigrants are heading back to Mexico
- UCI and CDCR sign MOU to partner on new in-prison bachelor's degree program