'Model Minority' myth again used as a racial wedge between Asians and Blacks
- April 19, 2017
- Claire Kim, poli sci and Asian American studies, via NPR, April 19, 2017
Claire Jean Kim, a professor at the University of California, Irvine [said] … "Racism
that Asian-Americans have experienced is not what black people have experienced,"
Kim said. "Sullivan is right that Asians have faced various forms of discrimination,
but never the systematic dehumanization that black people have faced during slavery
and continue to face today.”
For the full story, please visit http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2017/04/19/524571669/model-minority-myth-again-used-as-a-racial-wedge-between-asians-and-blacks.
Related News Items
- Creating a new vision for Asian American empowerment and belonging
- Korean and Black American relations past and present
- In fight against violence, Asian and Black activists struggle to agree
- U.S. acts decisively to protect Asian Americans - but drags its feet on protecting Black Americans
- A searching discussion about being Asian American at MIT