Jumpstart, children first
- February 10, 2017
- Program manager John Harmon on the outreach group's upcoming Literacy Fair on March 4
John Harmon, Site Manager for Jumpstart UCI and Board Member for Heritage Museum of Orange County, and Jamie Hiber, Director of Social Enterprise at Heritage Museum of Orange County join us on 5900 Wilshire to talk about Jumpstart, the Museum and the annual literacy Fair. Jumpstart for a Day happens at Heritage Museum of Orange County on March 4th from 10:00am to 4:00pm. This annual literacy fair offers fun for whole family with entertainment, food, books and other surprises. Plus, enjoy the Museum and its exhibits. JumpStart provides early childhood education for preschoolers giving them the tools they need for academic success. They also train college students to help transform the lives of children.
For the full recording, please visit https://audioboom.com/posts/5572546-february-5th-2017-jumpstart-and-heritage-museum-of-orange-county.
Details on the Literacy Fair:
- March 4, 2017
- 10:00a.m. - 2:00p.m.
- Heritage Museum of Orange County, 3101 W. Harvard St., Santa Ana, CA 92704
Language and literacy skills development is the focus of UCI’s Jumpstart Chapter which services nearly 300 low-income pre-school students in the Santa Ana area. Saturday, March 4 is the program’s annual Spring Literacy Fair where those interested in the program can come for a day of fun with story telling, arts and crafts. Themed this year around science, technology, engineering, arts and math, the day-long event will feature a visit from PBS characters Ready Jet Go and Clifford the Big Red Dog and balloon story telling with Annie Bannanie.
Jumpstart is a national early education organization that recruits and trains college students and community Corps members to serve preschool children in low-income neighborhoods. The organization’s proven curriculum helps children develop the language and literacy skills they need to be ready for kindergarten, setting them on a path to close the achievement gap before it is too late. Get involved today by visiting www.jstart.org/
- Contact: John Harmon, firstname.lastname@example.org or 949.824.8867
- Sponsors: Jumpstart, Lakeshore, Project Hope Alliance, Irvine Park Railroad, California, Pretend City Children’s Museum, CalOptima, PBS SoCal, Santa Ana Unified School District, Heritage Museum of Orange County, The Rotary Club, The Patsy Harmon Trust
Related News Items
- Winding road
- Most Republicans and Democrats agree: Immigrants make the U.S. a better place to live
- Stimulants: Using them to cram for exams ruins sleep and doesn't help test scores
- Andrew Yang's 'freedom dividend' echoes a 1930s basic income proposal that reshaped Social Security
- Affirmative action an increasingly divisive issue for Asian Americans