In memoriam: Carl Schwarz
- July 26, 2016
- Long-time political science lecturer in social sciences
Carl Schwarz, a long-time lecturer in the School of Social Sciences, passed away July 25. He celebrated his 80th birthday last month.
Teaching in political science, international studies, and social sciences, Carl’s specializations were in public law, judicial politics, and comparative constitutional law. Carl earned his B.A. in political science from UC Berkeley in 1958, and later in 1971, his Ph.D. in political science/comparative politics and constitutional law from UC Santa Barbara. He began teaching at UCI in October of 1995 until as recently as spring 2016 when he taught Comparative Constitutional Politics.
Prior to UCI, Carl was a professor of political science at Fullerton College 1962-99 and served as department chair 1994-99. He also held teaching positions at California State University, Fullerton and UC San Diego. Carl served as an elected trustee to the Laguna Beach Unified School District for three terms, 1981-94 — serving two of those terms as president.
Carl was an active participant in creating and delivering learning opportunities for our students. He was a longtime advisor to the Social Sciences Law Forum and a faculty advisor to the UCI Phi Gamma Delta fraternity.
Information about memorial services will be provided as soon as they become available.
Related News Items
- Donald Trump's life of crime: Most books are clueless -- these five explain him best
- Iraqi actor Enas Taleb hits back at the racist criticism of Arab women's bodies
- Neighborhood opportunity and child health
- UCI professors see enduring unrest in Iran
- Associations between sleep apnea risk and cardiovascular disease indicators among Chinese and Korean Americans