UCI’s Department of Sociology is full of movers and shakers. From experts sought by national media for perspective on social movements, aging and race, to book authors and researchers on topics pertaining to gender, work/life and education, UCI sociologists can be found in the mainstream media, back offices of journals and associations, and everywhere in between.
“The sociology department at UC Irvine is an incredibly vibrant intellectual community, full of energetic scholars doing important work that helps shape the discipline,” says Matt Huffman, professor and department chair.
The department’s graduate program came in 25th in the country this year according to latest rankings by U.S. News & World Report.
The department is home to 33 faculty, 3 of whom are new to UCI this year. Many just returned from the American Sociological Association annual meeting, held in Chicago in August, where they presented up-and-coming research, were elected to offices, and lauded for their work. Check out the listing below for a rundown on awards, elections and honors and click through our links for more details on their highlighted work.
- 2015 Oliver Cromwell Cox Article Award – Section on Racial and Ethnic Minorities
- Cristina Maria Riegos Graduate Student Paper Award – Latina/o Sociology Section
- Article of the Year Award – Sociology of the Family Section
- Distinguished Early Career Award – Sociology of Children and Youth Section
- Outstanding Article Award – Inequality, Poverty, and Mobility section
- Outstanding Publication Award – Aging and the Life Course section
2015 AMERICAN SOCIOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION OFFICERS
- Section on International Migration Chair: Jennifer Lee
- Section on Sex & Gender Council: Katie Bolzendahl
- Section on the Family Council: Kristin Turney
- Section on Children & Youth Council: Kristin Turney
- Section on Inequality, Poverty & Mobility Council: Jennifer Lee
- Section on Collective Behavior & Social Movements Chair: Belinda Robnett
- Section on Crime, Law & Deviance Secretary/Treasurer: John Hipp
- Section on Mathematical Sociology Council: Carter Butts
- ASA Council Member-at-large: Cynthia Feliciano
MAJOR OFFICES HELD IN OTHER PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- David Smith. President, Society for the Study of Social Problems (2015-2016)