The myth of a white minority (Opinion)
- June 10, 2015
- A book by Jennifer Lee and Frank Bean, sociology professors, is featured in The New York Times June 10, 2015
From The NYT:
In their book “The Diversity Paradox,” the [UCI] sociologists Jennifer Lee and Frank D. Bean found that individuals with white-Latino and white-Asian backgrounds did not feel excluded by race and enjoyed latitude in choosing their own identities. The story was different for those with one black parent: They experienced racial barriers, showing that visible African ancestry is still the great exception when it comes to the mainstream.
For the full story, please visit http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/opinion/the-myth-of-a-white-minority.html?_r=0.
Related News Items
- A lesson in solidarity
- UCI sociologists are making their mark
- New program allows incarcerated students to get bachelor's degrees alongside peers on the outside
- UCI and CDCR sign MOU to partner on new in-prison bachelor's degree program
- Vox co-founder and editor-at-large Ezra Klein on politics and his Irvine roots