How bitcoin is moving money in Africa
- April 24, 2014
- Bill Maurer, anthropology and law professor and social sciences dean, is quoted by USA Today April 25, 2014
From USA Today:
There's no system to cash out bitcoins for government-issued currency. Unlike a euro or a dollar, you can't hold a bitcoin in your hand or pop it into your wallet to use at the local merchants. There's also still an unsettled debate about whether bitcoin is a currency or payment protocol – a crucial legal distinction that has made regulators especially wary, says Bill Maurer, director of the Institute for Money, Technology and Financial Inclusion at the University of California, Irvine.
For the full story, please visit http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/04/25/ozy-bitcoin-afri....
Related News Items
- D.C. is now enforcing its cashless business ban: What that could mean for you
- You can't even pay people to have more kids
- You deserve a great nap
- Khan named Social Sciences Alumni Academic Excellence Scholar
- LA Latinos took a big financial hit during the pandemic. Here's how some are trying to bounce back