Viet Rainbow seeks return to Tet parade
- December 8, 2013
- Natalie Newton, anthropology junior fellow, is quoted in the Orange County Register December 8, 2013
From the OC Register:
Vietnamese history has included a prolific and respected gay author, an emperor who was widely reported to be a homosexual and cross-dresser and spiritual shamans who cross-dress as women during rituals, said Natalie Newton, a UC Irvine junior fellow in the department of anthropology. “What is happening is, we set up this dichotomy where being gay is inauthentic Vietnamese, and that's not true. Our homosexual and transgender history (started) long before our history of homophobia,” said Newton, who created an online Viet LGBT History Campaign website during this year's Tet Parade controversy.
For the full story, please visit http://www.ocregister.com/articles/vietnamese-540617-nguyen-group.html (online subscription required to view full article).
Related News Items
- Associations between sleep apnea risk and cardiovascular disease indicators among Chinese and Korean Americans
- Kiazolu and Painter receive Mellon Foundation/UC President's Postdoc support
- Iranian protesters are part of a worldwide fight for women's rights
- What is biphasic sleep and is it healthy for humans?
- China's demographic crisis looms over Xi Jinping's third term