Viet Rainbow seeks return to Tet parade
- December 8, 2013
- Natalie Newton, anthropology junior fellow, is quoted in the Orange County Register December 8, 2013
From the OC Register:
Vietnamese history has included a prolific and respected gay author, an emperor who was widely reported to be a homosexual and cross-dresser and spiritual shamans who cross-dress as women during rituals, said Natalie Newton, a UC Irvine junior fellow in the department of anthropology. “What is happening is, we set up this dichotomy where being gay is inauthentic Vietnamese, and that's not true. Our homosexual and transgender history (started) long before our history of homophobia,” said Newton, who created an online Viet LGBT History Campaign website during this year's Tet Parade controversy.
For the full story, please visit http://www.ocregister.com/articles/vietnamese-540617-nguyen-group.html (online subscription required to view full article).
Related News Items
- D.C. is now enforcing its cashless business ban: What that could mean for you
- You can't even pay people to have more kids
- You deserve a great nap
- Khan named Social Sciences Alumni Academic Excellence Scholar
- LA Latinos took a big financial hit during the pandemic. Here's how some are trying to bounce back