Ernst to speak at University of Illinois
- September 23, 2013
- Talk on foundations of mathematics
Michael Ernst, a sixth year student in LPS, will give a paper entitled "A Paradox in Naive Category Theory" at the 14th Annual Midwest Philosophy of Mathematics Workshop, hosted by the University of Illinois at Urbana/Champagne. The talk will describe his recent work in category theory, which is an area of mathematics that may be used to provide a foundation for other mathematical fields. Ernst has shown that category theory, understood in a naive sense as advocated by several researchers, faces an inconsistency. This means that if the theory is to be used for foundational purposes, special care needs to be taken. The conference will be held on October 5th and 6th.
Related News Items
- Language Science Ph.D. student presents work at the annual meeting for the Society for the Neurobiology of Language
- A remarkable shift in attitudes leaves U.S. even more divided on race
- The U.S.-China tariff failure of 2019
- What will Santa Ana do to keep low-income and Latino residents safe from toxic lead?
- Focus of Fed trading furore shifts to Powell's activities