Ernst to speak at University of Illinois
- September 23, 2013
- Talk on foundations of mathematics
Michael Ernst, a sixth year student in LPS, will give a paper entitled "A Paradox in Naive Category Theory" at the 14th Annual Midwest Philosophy of Mathematics Workshop, hosted by the University of Illinois at Urbana/Champagne. The talk will describe his recent work in category theory, which is an area of mathematics that may be used to provide a foundation for other mathematical fields. Ernst has shown that category theory, understood in a naive sense as advocated by several researchers, faces an inconsistency. This means that if the theory is to be used for foundational purposes, special care needs to be taken. The conference will be held on October 5th and 6th.
Related News Items
- Should U.S. states be free to close their borders to other U.S. citizens?
- Naturalized citizens could be critical in this fall's election
- The potential of biologically inspired neural modeling with neurorobotics expert, Jeffrey Krichmar
- Opinion: Covid-19 is twisting 2020 beyond all recognition
- Ask a political scientist launches live streaming shows