Hyderabad of yore cradle of ganga-jamni tehzeeb
- January 6, 2012
- Karen Leonard, anthropology professor and department chair, is quoted in The Hindu January 6, 2012
People now may be sharply divided on religious lines but the Hyderabad of yesteryears presented a successful example of a pluralistic society. Regardless of their religious affiliations everyone participated in the dominant public culture, especially those living in the neighborhoods of the walled City. "The Indo-Muslim practices are not evidence of a cultural synthesis, syncretism or hybridity. Rather they are evidence of a successful plural society," remarked Karen Leonard, professor of anthropology, University of California, Irvine.
For the full story, please visit http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Hyderabad/article2780129.ece.
Related News Items
- Tobar's Our Migrant Souls named among The New York Times, TIME Magazine, Amazon and Audible best book lists in 2023
- U.S. diplomat Henry Kissinger dies aged 100
- The 10 best California books of 2023
- D.C. is now enforcing its cashless business ban: What that could mean for you
- You can't even pay people to have more kids