If Democrats are the big spenders, why do Republican states get the money?
- December 3, 2010
- Gary Richardson, economics professor, is featured in the Slate December 2, 2010
From the Slate:
Dozens of new Tea Party candidates were elected to Congress on a promise to clean house. But data going back two decades-to stick to Simpson's crude metaphor - show the milk is mostly coming from Democratic states, and the sucking is being done by Republican states. The "red" states up in arms about government spending receive the largest share of it. This is not a new finding, but research by economist Gary Richardson at the University of California, Irvine backs it up. Richardson provides insight into how the paradox came about and what it means for the future.
For the full story, please visit http://www.slate.com/id/2276583/.
Related News Items
- Graduate student Niels Dickson to present at BUCLD 46
- Jenks recognized for outstanding undergraduate teaching
- Sarnecka appointed as social sciences associate dean of graduate studies and research
- Casavantes Bradford and Jenks appointed to lead school's Office of Faculty Development and Diversity
- Four UCI social scientists named Chancellor's Professors