Sunny views of tax raise
- October 28, 2010
- Jan Brueckner, economics professor and department chair, is quoted in the Daily Pilot October 26, 2010
From the Daily Pilot:
Tourists who spend a few nights in town could pay the same amount of taxes here as they would in neighboring Orange County cities if voters approve Measure L, the ballot initiative that would increase the city's hotel tax.... Jan K. Brueckner, an economics professor at UC Irvine, has said most people do not check the hotel tax before booking rooms. These taxes are easy to collect because they don't directly affect the city's residents or businesses, he added. Some would call them "attractive taxes." "More tax revenues paid by outsiders would conceivably help the city," Brueckner said. "If you don't want to spend any money, if you don't like public services, then I suppose you wouldn't like that tax revenue."
For the full story, please visit http://articles.dailypilot.com/2010-10-26/news/tn-dpt-1026-tax-20101022_....
Related News Items
- Symbols of white supremacy flew proudly at the Capitol riot - 5 essential reads
- Actually, men have a hard time getting hired in female-dominated roles, too
- A peek at our one year of COVID-19 issue | March 2021
- Changing immigration policies negatively impact undocumented students, new UC study says
- A Chinese couple paid $155,000 in fees to have 7 children in violation of the country's 2-child policy