O.C. man freed in Iran denies links to rebel group
- October 21, 2010
- UCI Center for Citizen Peacebuilding is mentioned in the Orange County Register October 18, 2010
From the OC Register:
The release by Iran of a south Orange County Iranian-American businessman who kept a low profile in the local Persian community has elated members of the group, one of his friends said on Sunday…. "The loneliness pushed you toward suicide," said [Ali] Shakeri, a human rights and peace activist affiliated with the “Center for Citizen Peacebuilding” at UCI. "You couldn't realize whether it's day or night. I was never physically beaten but there were harsh interrogations where they insulted you, tore down your ego and smashed your identity. There was an uncertainty never knowing if you would die there or get out."
For the full story, please visit http://www.ocregister.com/news/taghavi-271560-iran-iranian.html.
Related News Items
- What's next: The ongoing urban exodus
- Comparing economic conditions across crises, time
- FBI just proved Bitcoin's much-touted anonymity is illusory, says financial expert -- and no, El Salvador didn't actually make Bitcoin any more useful
- 'A sacrifice for a generation': China scrambles to boost its population with 3-child policy
- Fourteen from social sciences honored with Chancellor's Award of Distinction