O.C. man freed in Iran denies links to rebel group
- October 21, 2010
- UCI Center for Citizen Peacebuilding is mentioned in the Orange County Register October 18, 2010
From the OC Register:
The release by Iran of a south Orange County Iranian-American businessman who kept a low profile in the local Persian community has elated members of the group, one of his friends said on Sunday…. "The loneliness pushed you toward suicide," said [Ali] Shakeri, a human rights and peace activist affiliated with the “Center for Citizen Peacebuilding” at UCI. "You couldn't realize whether it's day or night. I was never physically beaten but there were harsh interrogations where they insulted you, tore down your ego and smashed your identity. There was an uncertainty never knowing if you would die there or get out."
For the full story, please visit http://www.ocregister.com/news/taghavi-271560-iran-iranian.html.
Related News Items
- On the podcast: Dr. Sara Mednick, Tracy Clark-Flory, and Dr. Will Cole
- Commentary: COVID-19 reveals need to increase diversity among California physicians
- The history of attacks against Asian Americans is complicated. Addressing it will be, too
- Artist discusses his digital and 3-D take on Orange County landscape
- Police accountability