Why have a cell phone justice conference now?
- October 12, 2010
- Heather Horst, UCI IMTFI and Humanities Research Institute researcher, is featured in the Oakland Local October 8, 2010
From the Oakland Local:
"The cell phone brought him justice," Cephus Johnson, Oscar Grant's uncle told me recently. He was referring to the historic event in which caused a jury to convicted then-BART Officer Johannes Mehserle, 28, of murder of Oscar Grant.... We will hear from Dr. Heather Horst, UC Irvine research, who has written "Cell Phone: The Anthropology of Communication". "Mobile phones have come to play an increasingly important role in the social and economic activities of the poor throughout the world," she writes, " The mobile phone's capacity for storing and sharing information, credit and other forms of value provides many poor and low income individuals with the opportunity to create, shape and transform their social and economic mobility and to participate in a broader palette of state, commercial and financial organizations."
For the full story, please visit
Related News Items
- Graduate student Niels Dickson to present at BUCLD 46
- Jenks recognized for outstanding undergraduate teaching
- Sarnecka appointed as social sciences associate dean of graduate studies and research
- Casavantes Bradford and Jenks appointed to lead school's Office of Faculty Development and Diversity
- Four UCI social scientists named Chancellor's Professors