Blacks most targeted by hate crimes
- September 23, 2010
- Louis DeSipio, Chicano/Latino studies department chair and political science associate professor, is quoted in the OC Register September 23, 2010
From the OC Register:
Louis DeSipio, associate professor at UC Irvine for Chicano/Latino studies, says one year's statistics do not tell the whole story. He said he finds it interesting that hate crimes against Latinos are down in a year that has seen several heated debates relating to immigration. “You have to look at the numbers over several years,” he said. “Underreporting is definitely a problem in many immigrant communities because they fear retaliation or, in some cases, because they may be undocumented.” Creating awareness is a proactive approach, but very often the dialogue and debate remain confined to college campuses, DeSipio said.
For the full story, please visit http://www.ocregister.com/news/hate-89620-ocprint-crimes-report.html.
Related News Items
- Marodin and Spencer among 17 campus fellowship award winners
- Math could help set right the sizes of national legislatures
- The racist and problematic history of the body mass index
- Testimony before the Hawaii Senate Committee On Judiciary, Senate Committee on Ways and Means on minimum wage increases
- The Origins of Unfairness