Blacks most targeted by hate crimes
- September 23, 2010
- Louis DeSipio, Chicano/Latino studies department chair and political science associate professor, is quoted in the OC Register September 23, 2010
From the OC Register:
Louis DeSipio, associate professor at UC Irvine for Chicano/Latino studies, says one year's statistics do not tell the whole story. He said he finds it interesting that hate crimes against Latinos are down in a year that has seen several heated debates relating to immigration. “You have to look at the numbers over several years,” he said. “Underreporting is definitely a problem in many immigrant communities because they fear retaliation or, in some cases, because they may be undocumented.” Creating awareness is a proactive approach, but very often the dialogue and debate remain confined to college campuses, DeSipio said.
For the full story, please visit http://www.ocregister.com/news/hate-89620-ocprint-crimes-report.html.
Related News Items
- What's next: The ongoing urban exodus
- Comparing economic conditions across crises, time
- FBI just proved Bitcoin's much-touted anonymity is illusory, says financial expert -- and no, El Salvador didn't actually make Bitcoin any more useful
- 'A sacrifice for a generation': China scrambles to boost its population with 3-child policy
- Fourteen from social sciences honored with Chancellor's Award of Distinction