Prop. 8 gay marriage delay a 'good thing' for eager couples?
- August 18, 2010
- Charles Anthony (Tony) Smith, political science assistant professor, is quoted in Yahoo News and the Christian Science Monitor August 17, 2010
From Yahoo News:
Same-sex California couples planning to wed Wednesday will have to wait until at least December, following a decision by the US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.... Demonstrating that overturning Prop. 8 will do harm to same-sex marriage opponents may be difficult, says UC Irvine Law School professor Tony Smith. "The media should be focusing on the absence of harm demonstrated at trial by the Pro-8 side," he says. "The witnesses for them conceded that same-sex marriage doesn't harm heterosexual couples in any way, and that the ban on same-sex marriages directly harms families," says Mr. Smith. "Given that over 36,000 gay and lesbians got married in California in the brief period when it was legal, if harm occurs from same-sex marriages, the appellants should have been able to demonstrate it."
For the full story, please visit http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100817/ts_csm/320210.
Related News Items
- Usman receives grant to study recidivism program in Pakistan
- Oil prices hang in the balance ahead of Iran nuclear talks, but experts don't expect a breakthrough
- The distinctiveness of disease explanation
- What is a merchant account?
- Research and commentary: New Hampshire Senate rejects minimum wage hike proposal