Dion's short, tragic life
- July 19, 2010
- An op-ed by Angela Garcia, anthropology assistant professor, is featured in the LA Times July 17, 2010
From the LA Times:
Not long ago, Dion, my former neighbor in the northern New Mexico village of Velarde, died of a drug overdose. He was 2 years old. Traces of antihistamines, alcohol, cocaine and opiates were found in his small body. Early newspaper reports suggested that Dion had come down with the flu and that his parents may have "treated" him with the drugs they knew best. His death was officially labeled a homicide, and his parents were charged with first-degree felony child abuse.
For the full story, please visit http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-garcia-heroin-new-m....
Related News Items
- What's next: The future of cash
- Honoring efforts to advance diversity and equitable inclusion
- UCI Podcast: Professor Davin Phoenix on the political impact of the Black Lives Matter movement
- International students upended, unsure if they can continue U.S. studies amid new federal rules
- 2020 could be the new year of the woman ... for the GOP