Dion's short, tragic life
- July 19, 2010
- An op-ed by Angela Garcia, anthropology assistant professor, is featured in the LA Times July 17, 2010
From the LA Times:
Not long ago, Dion, my former neighbor in the northern New Mexico village of Velarde, died of a drug overdose. He was 2 years old. Traces of antihistamines, alcohol, cocaine and opiates were found in his small body. Early newspaper reports suggested that Dion had come down with the flu and that his parents may have "treated" him with the drugs they knew best. His death was officially labeled a homicide, and his parents were charged with first-degree felony child abuse.
For the full story, please visit http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-garcia-heroin-new-m....
Related News Items
- Marodin and Spencer among 17 campus fellowship award winners
- Math could help set right the sizes of national legislatures
- The racist and problematic history of the body mass index
- Testimony before the Hawaii Senate Committee On Judiciary, Senate Committee on Ways and Means on minimum wage increases
- The Origins of Unfairness