Laser nuclear technology might pose security risk
- April 13, 2010
- A study by Linda Cohen, economics professor, is featured by NPR April 12, 2010
In a recent opinion piece in Nature, Slakey and a colleague [Linda Cohen, professor of economics] at the University of California, Irvine asked the NRC to do something it normally doesn't do — decide whether to scuttle a technology altogether because of its proliferation risks. "Both my co-author and I are advocates of nuclear power," Slakey says. "We're strongly in favor of nuclear power, but we think it's in the best interest in expansion of nuclear power to manage very carefully the proliferation risks."
For the full story, please visit http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125787318.
Related News Items
- New outreach, new law could boost health care for homeless people
- Berna Idriz wants to save the planet - and she's got a pretty good start
- Kopstein receives U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum Ina Levine Invitational Fellowship
- An inside look at Disneyland's new Tenaya Stone Spa
- These unheralded workers are helping prevent the next wildfire