Student aid overhaul passes House
- March 23, 2010
- Sara Bana, quantitative economics undergrad, is featured in the LA Times March 23, 2010
From the Times:
Sarah Bana, 21, an economics major and student government activist at UC Irvine, was in Washington this week to lobby for the bill. "It was beautiful to see legislators finally speaking up for students and students' rights," she said. Bana, a senior, said she received a $3,400 Pell grant this year and about $12,400 in other financial aid. Pell grants "are definitely a big factor for me being able to come to college," she said. Nancy Coolidge, the UC system's coordinator of student financial support, said she was very pleased about the bill, especially its protection of the Pell grants. More than 55,000 UC students receive Pells, totaling about $200 million a year and averaging about $3,500 per UC recipient, she said.
For the full story, please visit http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-student-loan23-2010mar23,0,2163898....
Related News Items
- Princeton Review and U.S. News & World Report rank UCI among nation's top 10 public universities
- Ross receives grant to develop framework for causal complexity
- The Fed pauses rate hikes again; no relief for housing market
- Former President Trump gains support vs. President Biden in new poll
- Celebrating UC changemakers: Meet 10 Latino leaders creating a more equitable future for us all