Struggles of the second generation
- December 7, 2009
- Ruben Rumbaut, sociology professor, is featured in The Washington Post December 7, 2009
From The Washington Post:
"The second generation is doing way better" than their parents, said Ruben Rumbaut, a professor at the University of California at Irvine and a leading scholar on second-generation Latino immigrants. "But way better can still mean they are high school dropouts with 11 years of education, as opposed to their parents, with six years. And in this economy, an 11th-grade dropout is not going to make it."
For the full story, please visit http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/06/AR200912....
Related News Items
- Graduate student Niels Dickson to present at BUCLD 46
- Jenks recognized for outstanding undergraduate teaching
- Sarnecka appointed as social sciences associate dean of graduate studies and research
- Casavantes Bradford and Jenks appointed to lead school's Office of Faculty Development and Diversity
- Four UCI social scientists named Chancellor's Professors