Struggles of the second generation
- December 7, 2009
- Ruben Rumbaut, sociology professor, is featured in The Washington Post December 7, 2009
From The Washington Post:
"The second generation is doing way better" than their parents, said Ruben Rumbaut, a professor at the University of California at Irvine and a leading scholar on second-generation Latino immigrants. "But way better can still mean they are high school dropouts with 11 years of education, as opposed to their parents, with six years. And in this economy, an 11th-grade dropout is not going to make it."
For the full story, please visit http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/06/AR200912....
Related News Items
- Language Science Ph.D. student presents work at the annual meeting for the Society for the Neurobiology of Language
- A remarkable shift in attitudes leaves U.S. even more divided on race
- The U.S.-China tariff failure of 2019
- What will Santa Ana do to keep low-income and Latino residents safe from toxic lead?
- Focus of Fed trading furore shifts to Powell's activities