Struggles of the second generation
- December 7, 2009
- Ruben Rumbaut, sociology professor, is featured in The Washington Post December 7, 2009
From The Washington Post:
"The second generation is doing way better" than their parents, said Ruben Rumbaut, a professor at the University of California at Irvine and a leading scholar on second-generation Latino immigrants. "But way better can still mean they are high school dropouts with 11 years of education, as opposed to their parents, with six years. And in this economy, an 11th-grade dropout is not going to make it."
For the full story, please visit http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/06/AR200912....
Related News Items
- Harding named a 2021 Faculty Innovation Fellow
- The Capitol siege shows how White Americans can express anger that Black Americans cannot
- What the outcry from Kumail Nanjiani's sculpted body tells us about racism, masculinity standards
- Why the flag of South Vietnam flew at US Capitol siege
- Opinion: White riot