Struggles of the second generation
- December 7, 2009
- Ruben Rumbaut, sociology professor, is featured in The Washington Post December 7, 2009
From The Washington Post:
"The second generation is doing way better" than their parents, said Ruben Rumbaut, a professor at the University of California at Irvine and a leading scholar on second-generation Latino immigrants. "But way better can still mean they are high school dropouts with 11 years of education, as opposed to their parents, with six years. And in this economy, an 11th-grade dropout is not going to make it."
For the full story, please visit http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/06/AR200912....
Related News Items
- Fourteen from social sciences honored with Chancellor's Award of Distinction
- Usman named inaugural SF Fed grad student essay contest winner
- Virtual cultures in pandemic times
- Sports bra ad showing bare breasts banned in UK, stirring sex positivity debate
- Outstanding teaching award recipients in social sciences