Decreasing the minimum wage
- November 17, 2009
- David Neumark, economics professor, is quoted in Parade Magazine November 15, 2009
But some economists say that the minimum wage actually hurts the poor. “There’s a lot of evidence that the minimum wage reduces the employment of low-skilled workers,” says David Neumark, an economist at UC Irvine. “This shouldn’t be surprising. If we raise the price of gas, people use less gas. If we raise taxes on cigarettes, fewer people smoke.”
For the full story, please visit http://www.parade.com/news/intelligence-report/archive/091115-decreasing....
Related News Items
- Usman receives grant to study recidivism program in Pakistan
- Oil prices hang in the balance ahead of Iran nuclear talks, but experts don't expect a breakthrough
- The distinctiveness of disease explanation
- What is a merchant account?
- Research and commentary: New Hampshire Senate rejects minimum wage hike proposal