Can union mergers reverse declining membership?
- October 9, 2009
- Sociology graduate student Jasmine Kerrissey awarded grant from NSF to find out
Jasmine Kerrissey, sociology graduate student, has received a $10,000 National Science
Foundation Fellowship award to study whether or not union mergers can help reverse
declining union membership.
Using archival data from 1886-2000, she will examine union membership growth, degree of union democracy, and union organizational structure changes directly before and after mergers took place during this time period to determine their effects on membership.
The study will run from August 2009-July 2010.
Kerrissey is in her sixth year of graduate study at UCI under advisor and professor Judith Stepan-Norris, sociology.
Related News Items
- New outreach, new law could boost health care for homeless people
- Berna Idriz wants to save the planet - and she's got a pretty good start
- Kopstein receives U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum Ina Levine Invitational Fellowship
- An inside look at Disneyland's new Tenaya Stone Spa
- These unheralded workers are helping prevent the next wildfire