Kari Pestolesi named the Sports Imports/AVCA National Player of the Week
- September 1, 2009
- Pestolesi becomes first Anteater to receive weekly honor from AVCA
UC Irvine's Kari Pestolesi, sociology major, was named the Sports Imports/AVCA Division
I National Player of the Week after leading the No. 22 Anteaters to a 3-0 start at
the Nevada Courtyard Marriott/Fairfield Invitational last weekend. Pestolesi becomes
the first Anteater to win the AVCA National Player of the Week honor.
En route to the tournament title, the Anteaters upset then-No. 6 California in five sets to open the season, upending their highest-ranked opponent. Pestolesi totaled 17 kills and 10 digs and also contributed four blocks and three assists. She followed that up with her best performance of the weekend, with 23 kills and 18 digs in another five-set victory against Connecticut. Pestolesi ended the weekend with her third double-double in as many matches, scoring 16 kills and 21 digs in a 3-1 win over Nevada. Pestolesi, who took away tournament MVP honors, averaged 4.00 kills, 3.50 digs and 4.50 points per set.
UC Irvine, guided by first-year head coach Paula Weishoff, hosts the UCI Classic this Friday and Saturday (Sept. 4-5) at Crawford Court.
--UC Irvine Athletics
Also featured in the following:
-Daily Pilot, September 1, 2009
Related News Items
- Language Science Ph.D. student presents work at the annual meeting for the Society for the Neurobiology of Language
- A remarkable shift in attitudes leaves U.S. even more divided on race
- The U.S.-China tariff failure of 2019
- What will Santa Ana do to keep low-income and Latino residents safe from toxic lead?
- Focus of Fed trading furore shifts to Powell's activities