Kenneth A. Small
● The Economics of Urban Transportation (with Erik T. Verhoef), London and New York: Routledge, October 2007.
This book is the second edition of Urban Transportation Economics, 1992.
Selected chapters (pre-publication draft):
● “The elusive effects of CAFE standards,”
ch. 11 of Transportation
Policy and Economic Regulation: Essays in Honor of Theodore Keeler,
ed. by John Bitzan and James H. Peoples, Elsevier,
● “Measuring Air Carrier Passengers’ Values of Time by Trip Component,” (with Steven Landau, Geoffrey D. Gosling, and Thomas Adler), Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2569 (2016), pp. 24-31.
● The Bottleneck Model: An Assessment and Interpretation, Economics of Transportation, 4:110-117 (2015).
● “The Rebound Effect for Automobile Travel: Asymmetric Response to Price Changes and Novel Features of the 2000s” (with Kent Hymel). Energy Economics, 49: 93-103 (May 2015).
congestion cost on a dynamic network with queue spillbacks”
(with Mogens Fosgerau), Journal of
Transport Economics and Policy, 46(3): 431-450, Sept. 2012.
among Free-flow Speed, Capacity, Cost, and Environmental Footprint in Highway
Chen Feng Ng), Transportation, 39(6): 1259-1280, 2012.
● “Spatial Hedonics and the Willingness to Pay for Residential
Amenities” (with Seiji Steimetz), Journal of Regional Science, 52(4): 635–647, Oct. 2012.
● “Induced Demand
and Rebound Effects in Road Transport,” (with Kent Hymel and Kurt Van Dender),
Research Part B – Methodological, 44, 2010 (pp. 1220-1241).
Provision of Highways: Economic Issues”, Transport
30(1), 2010, pp. 11-31.
● “A Comment on ‘Subsidization of Urban Public Transport and the Mohring
Effect’” (with Ian Savage), Journal
of Transport and Economic Policy, 44(3), 2010, pp. 373-380..
"Urban Transportation Policy,"
in Robert P. Inman, ed., Making Cities Work: Prospects
and Policies for Urban America,
● “Long run trends in transport demand, fuel price elasticities and implications of the oil outlook for transport policy,” (with Kurt Van Dender). In: Oil Dependence: Is Transport Running Out of Affordable Fuel?, Round Table 139, Paris: Joint OECD/ITF Transport Research Centre, Organisation of Economic Co-operation & Development and International Transport Forum, 2008, pp. 165-200.
● "Fuel Efficiency and Motor Vehicle Travel: The Declining Rebound Effect," Energy Journal, 28 (2007), pp. 25-51 (with Kurt Van Dender).
Correction to published paper: Click here to see corrected numbers for total price
elasticities of fuel consumption, and an explanation.
Road Pricing, Express Lanes, and Carpools: Exploiting Heterogeneous
Preferences in Policy Design," Brookings-Wharton
Papers on Urban Affairs, 2006, pp. 53-96 (with
Clifford Winston and Jia Yan).
● "Does Britain or The United States Have the Right
Gasoline Tax?" American
Economic Review, 95 (Sept. 2005), pp. 1276-1289 (with Ian W.H. Parry).
● "Uncovering the Distribution of Motorists' Preferences for
Travel Time and Reliability: Implications for Road Pricing," Econometrica, 73 (July 2005), pp. 1367-1382
(with Clifford Winston and Jia Yan).
● "Valuing Time and Reliability:
Assessing the Evidence from Road Pricing Demonstrations,"
Research Part A, 39, no. 4 (May 2005), pp. 279-293. (with David Brownstone).
of Economic Demand Modeling: Lessons from Travel Demand Analysis.” In: Wei Chen, Kemper Lewis, and Linda C. Schmidt, eds., Decision-Based
Design: Making Effective Decisions in Product and Systems Design,
● "Road Pricing and Public Transport," in: Georgina Santos, ed., Research in Transport Economics, Vol. 9: Road Pricing: Theory and
Evidence, Elsevier (2004), pp. 133-158
● "Product Differentiation on Roads:
Constrained Congestion Pricing with Heterogeneous Users," Journal
of Transport Economics and Policy, 38 (2004), pp. 127-156 (with Erik Verhoef).
● "Modeling Land Use and
Transportation: An Interpretive Review for Growth Areas." Environment and Planning A,
20 (1988), pp. 1285 1309 (with Joseph Berechman).
● A Discrete Choice Model for Ordered
Alternatives." Econometrica, 55 (1987), pp. 409-424.
Selected Research Reports
● Private Provision of Highways: Economic Issues, Policy Study 17, Show-Me Institute, St. Louis, Missouri,Nov. 2008.
● A Study to Evaluate the Effect of Reduced Greenhouse Gas Emissions on Vehicle Miles Traveled, Final Report to California Air Resources Board, March 2005 (with Kurt Van Dender).
For working paper versions of many of my articles, see the repec.org list for my name, here.
For a complete list of publications, see my curriculum