Nicole Gage, Ph.D.
Director, Cognitive Neuroscience of Language Lab
First Award, Ralph Waldo
Gerard Prize for
Excellence in the History of Neurosciences
1999 Pre-Doctoral Fellowship Award Association of Women in Science
1999 Pre-Doctoral Summer Fellowship
2000 Commended Paper: “Carl Wernicke’s International Society for the
Contribution to Theories of Conceptual History of Neurosciences
Representation in the Cortex”
2000 Order of Merit – Outstanding
2000 Grant in Aid of Research Award Sigma Xi, Scientific Res. Society
2001 Nomination for Membership Sigma Xi, Scientific Res. Society
2001-03 M.I.N.D. Institute Scholar M.I.N.D. Institute, UC Davis
Selected peer-reviewed publications (in chronological order)
1. Gage, N., Poeppel, D., Roberts, T.P.L., & Hickok, G. (1998). Auditory evoked M100 reflects onset acoustics of speech sounds. Brain Research, 814, 236-239.
2. Gage, N., & Roberts, T. P. L. (2000). Temporal integration: Reflections in the M100 of the auditory evoked field. Neuroreport, 11, (12) 2723-6.
3. Roberts, T. P. L., Gage, N., Ferrari, P.,
Rowley, H., & Siegel, B. (2000). Stimulus dependence of the M100 latency in
the age range 11-18 years. Proceedings,
11th International Conference on Biomagnetism,
4. Gage, N. & Hickok, G. (2001). Carl Wernicke’s contribution to theories of conceptual representation in the cerebral cortex. Journal of the History of the Neurosciences, 10(2), 246.
5. Szymanski, M. D., Perry, D. W., Gage, N. M., Rowley, H. A., Walker, J., Berger, M. S., & Roberts, T. P. L. (2001). Magnetic source imaging of late-evoked field responses to vowels: an assessment of hemispheric dominance for language. Journal of Neurosurgery, 94, 445-453.
6. McBride, D. M., Dosher, B. A., & Gage, N. (2001). A comparison of forgetting for conscious and automatic memory processes for word fragment completion tasks. Journal of Memory and Language, 45, 585-615.
7. Gage, N., Roberts, T., & Hickok, G. (2002). Hemispheric Asymmetries in Auditory Evoked Neuromagnetic Fields in Response to Place of Articulation Contrasts. Cognitive Brain Research, 14, 303-306.
9. Gage, N. M., Siegel, B., Callen, M., & Roberts, T. P. L. (2003). Cortical Processing of Sounds in Autism: A Preliminary MEG Investigation. Neuroreport, 14, (16) 2047-2051.
10. Roberts, T.P.L., Flagg, E.J., & Gage, N.M. (2004). Vowel categorization induces departure of M100 latency from acoustic prediction. NeuroReport
11. Gage, N. & Hickok, G. (2005). Multiregional cell assemblies, temporal binding, and the representation of conceptual knowledge in cortex: A modern theory by a “classical” neurologist, Carl Wernicke. Cortex.
12. Gage, N.M., Isenberg, A.L., Fillmore, P., Smith, M., Filipek, P., Mays, L., Osann, K., Flodman, P., Zeng, F-G., & Spence, M.A. (In review 2005). Novel brain component in autism revealed by MEG. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
NIH / NICHD R21 HD 35458 (PI: Gage) 12/1/2004-11/30/2006
The Neurobiology of Auditory Perception in Autism
R21 Explorative/Innovative grant to investigate the neurobiology of sound processing from periphery to brain in children with autism.
“MEG Investigations of Cortical Auditory Processing in Children with Autism Disorder” Investigate auditory and speech perceptual processes in children with autism disorder using psychophysical and MEG methods.
Medical Investigation of Neurodevelopmental Disorders (M.I.N.D.) Institute
“The Neurobiology of Speech and Language Processing in Autism: An MEG Investigation” Investigate the neural correlates of early sensory and later linguistic cortical processes in children with a diagnosis of autism disorder and age matched typically developing controls.
“Neural Correlates of Phonological Processing in Autism: An MEG Investigation” Investigate perceptual acuity and neural correlates of speech discrimination processes in children with autism disorder and age matched controls.
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
Acoustical Society of
Cognitive Neuroscience Society
International Society for Autism Research
Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
Society for Neuroscience
Reviewer for Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, Neuroscience Letters, Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Brain Research, Cognitive Brain Research, Clinical Neurophysiology
Grant Reviewer, National